Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mt. Rushmore

There is real good story behind this Mt. Rushmore trip so here goes!!!!! 2 weeks ago, our family was getting all set to go to Denver, CO. Jack has a sister that moved there not too long ago, and we had not been there to see her yet. One of her boys was getting baptized, so we thought it would be a good time to go and visit. We left Thursday and drove 9 hours to CO. It was a good drive the kids did great. Well we had a great time there and got to see a lot of stuff. Well.....(When ever we travel I always like to take a atlas and look at things a read the map... I love to read maps, it is sorta a little hobby of mine) I was looking at the map and I said "Jack do you realize that we are only 6 hours from Mt. Rushmore? " We guess what happened. We got up early Monday morning and drove to Mt Rushmore. No plans Just do whatever we feel!!!! It was so fun. We got there in 6 hours and went to Crazy horse memorial. The statue If you call it that will be the largest statue in the world when it is done. The pictures are at the bottom. Then we went to Mt. Rushmore. It was amazing. It was neat. We spent as much time there as we wanted and then headed home. Ok then it gets better. Jack this time was looking at the map to see where we were and he said It is only about 20 minutes out of our way to go to nebraska. Just to drive through so the kids could say they have been there. What were we thinking. Well all in all it took us about 14 hours to drive home. We did it in 2 days. What a great adventure. That was such a fun vacation. I love being spontanious.
This is a small version of crazy horse memorial.
Here it is.... If you look close you can hee his face in the mountain about the hole and to the left.

5 comments:

autumntime said...

Gina how fun! I love trips like that- Mine are usually planned down to the hour- How fun to just decide and go! I hope your having a great summer! We need to call and get together for kims birthday i think its already passed

The Calico Crew said...

I don't think I could stand being in the car that long with my kids! We can't even go to SLC without some kind of mishap! Looks like fun. Mt. Rushmore would be totally awesome to see!

Becky said...

lovin' the pics. That looks like it was so much fun. We need to hang out sometime....

Lisa said...

How fun! I love to be spontaneous too. It looks like you guys had a great time! I would love to go there sometime!

rayndrop said...

my mom is going to trying something like this as well in a few weeks. i told her about your trip. it sounds like crazy fun.